Friday, January 1, 2010

Excitement

Awhile back, I decided I wanted to make a quilt. I'm not sure where there desire came from exactly, but I got really interested and spent lots of time researching tools, methods, patterns and such. I realized I was totally unprepared for quilting and so for Christmas I asked for (and received) lots of goodies and tools that can help me. And now, I'm so excited!!!

After figuring out all the math (what size the quilt will be, what siz
e patches it will have, how many patches it will have, how many fabrics, it will have...) we set out to Hobby Lobby. I've decided on 8 fabrics, and I love how they go together!! Here is a picture of just a few!!

The ne
xt step was cutting the fabrics the right size. I'm going to make a 70x90 quilt. I will have a five inch border on each side, which means without the border, the quilt will be 60x80. So I will have eight rows of six blocks each, at 10 inches each.













The next step was to lay all the squares out and make
a pattern that I like. It took awhile to make everything just right, but I like what I ended with. I pinned each row together so I can keep this order. Now that that is all done, and I know which square goes where, I can start the sewing. And I think this will take a long time, but I'm ready to get to work on it and am so excited about it!



1 comment:

merylleigh said...

how fun! i am so proud of you for starting... maybe when you get this one accomplished, you can teach me! i would love to learn!