Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Chronicles of Narnia

I was immediately scarred by the BBC version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I saw it for the first time. I was just a young girl, and I did not like anything I saw. The scary witch, the talking animals... none of it settled with me right, and I, unfortunately, declared myself not a fan of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Nothing much happened or mattered in this regard until Austin got a little older and had read the books. "They are SO good," he told me. "They are about JESUS," he tried to convince me. But still, I would not relent. I somehow just couldn't be convinced...

David entered the picture, and he too, tried to convice me to read them. I still wasn't ready, though I was finding myself willing to give the new movies a try. Maybe they wouldn't be so scary... On Christmas Day, David and I were on our honeymoon in NYC and we wanted to go see a movie at the AMC in Times Square. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader had just come out. I knew he wanted to see this so badly... and I was okay with it. I was just happy to be seeing a movie in Times Square... that was enough fun for me! But as I watched the movie, I became less hard-hearted... I really liked some of the movie I saw. I loved when Aslan talked to Lucy and told her that their knowing each other in Narnia was just a glimpse of knowing each other in real life, in a real way. Lucy asked Aslan if they will ever meet in her world. And he says yes. When she asks how, he says, "Because there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
I don't know why, but it struck me. The idea of catching a glimpse of him, of knowing him 'a little' so that one day we may know him more fully...it's beautiful.

Okay, so by this time, I'm feeling a little silly...realizing maybe there is something to these stories, maybe they are worth reading. So when David asked me if I wanted to read through them together with him, I said 'yes.'
And let me tell you, it has been such a blessing. I've enjoyed reading in the evenings with David... that has been blessing enough, but the stories we are reading are so incredible. I love how Lewis sees things, how he has told this story. It really is beautiful. Clearly I'm not the first to notice this, in fact, I'm apparently very far behind the rest of the world, but I admit, I shouldn't have let the scary british witch scare me so much as a child.

So thank you Austin - for planting the seed in me to read them. And thank you David for helping to bring it about.

No comments: