Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Food for Thought Wednesday

I wrote some notes last night on Humility, but honestly there are a few books that I have read so far this year that I would love to write my reactions to. But writing my reactions to an entire book is apparently a feat too extensive, because it's just been sitting on my to-do list for a couple months now. So, I've decided to examine them little by little... Ergo, I'm introducing... Food for Thought Wednesdays.

And our inaugural FFTW was incredibly timely this morning. I've read Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and decided to start with this book. During a break in between classes this morning, I opened it up, thumbing through to find my first major sticky note. (I have to read with sticky notes, or else I forget everything. blah.)

And the first hot pink sticky note that caught my eye immediately convicted me. It was on worry and stress, along with the command in Philippians to "Rejoice in the Lord always."

Now this morning, I had been throwing myself quite a pity party. My ride to school was filled with thoughts like: "D's got this new job, and I'm afraid I will never get to see him." "I have these stupid papers that won't stop nagging me." "I hate my job. I'm dreading going to work today." It was pretty pitiful. I'm embarrassed to even admit.

But God met me there, with this command, and these pages from Crazy Love. "Rejoice," he said to me. "Rejoice!"

Here's some thoughts from Chan: "You'll notice that it (Philippians 4.4 - 'Rejoice in the Lord always.') doesn't end with '...unless you're doing something extremely important.' No, it's a command for all of us, and it follows with the charge, 'Do not be anxious about anything.' (v 6)... When I am consumed by my problems, stressed out about my life, my family and my job, I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities... Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. "

Goodness, this got me. What is more important? My desire to throw a pity party? Or God's goodness leading to rejoicing?

Rejoice, Ashley, Rejoice!

What do you think? Are you humbled by these words? Does it cause your heart to rejoice? Honestly, it's probably not an automatic "Oh, I'm happy now." But I'm trying to make it my mindset - to rejoice - to think on and meditate on the God who calls me to rejoice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this, Ashley - very thoughtful. I can really struggle with becoming overwhelmed or feeling pessimistic. A challenge for myself lately has been "Celebrate what is RIGHT in my life today" - it has been a great check for me & I'm constantly amazed at how when in the midst of an internal gripe session, if I ask myself this, I find many many things that ARE right. My mindset will change quickly and then I wonder how I missed all those great things.
I think, much more so than we realize, it is a battle against spiritual oppression from the Enemy.
Love reading your thoughts, sweet friend.