Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Humility

I read this book earlier in the year, and was so grateful for the journey it took me on.

Humility: The Journey Towards Holiness, Andrew Murray

Murray encourages our prayer to be: "Oh for the humility of Jesus in myself and all around me."
He makes the point that our pride is not revealed in the midst of sin, but instead, it is grace that reveals our pride. This grace is His working on us, disciplining us, molding us to be more like His Son. It may not be too comfortable, but it is for our good, for our restoration.

My favorite chapter is the one on faith, and how pride impedes faith. “It is indeed pride that makes faith impossible.” “…pride and faith are irreconcilably at odds, we learn that faith and humility are at their root one, and that we can never have more of true faith than we have of true humility.”

Whoa. Read it again. How prideful am I? And what does this say about my faith?

He says of faith: "Is it not in itself the most humbling thing there can be – the acceptance of our place as dependents who can claim, or get, or do nothing but what grace bestows? Humility is simply the disposition that prepares the soul for living in trust.”

This is beautiful. My prayer is that I would have that disposition that prepares me for living in trust. I want to live in trust in My Savior. D and I are in such an 'in between' phase. Everything ahead seems uncertain, unplanned. May we live in trust ... may this trust be rooted in a faith&humility that is our breath of life.

Will leave you with this last quote from Murray:
"Let the glory of the all-glorious God be everything to you. You will be freed from the glory of men and of self and be content and glad to be nothing. Out of this nothingness, you will grow strong in faith, giving glory to God, and you will find that the deeper you sink in humility before Him, the nearer He is to fulfill every desire of your faith.”

May Your glory be everything to us.

No comments: