Sunday, February 27, 2011

ASTH

My dad decided we were finished swimming for the night (I had fallen of the diving board and scraped my leg), so we loaded up and headed home. Before long, the three of us girls were home, dried off, and sitting on the couch, all in a row, with our wet chlorine hair. It seemed odd that they would set us down like this. I knew there must be something they were wanting to tell us girls. Before I could even finish my thought wouldnt it be funny if they were going to have a baby... that's exactly what my dad said: "We're going to have a baby."

This little nine year old girl couldn't imagine what life would be like...our circle of three already seemed so complete. Another sister? Or heaven forbid... a boy? What would we do with a boy?

Fast forward nine months... my grandma's in town because the baby will be born soon. She's staying in my room with me, which of course, I assume as quite the honor. I have a miniature love seat in my room across from my bed, and as grandma's unpacking, she lays out a pair of jeans and a Glorieta sweatshirt. "These are the clothes for when I go to the hospital," she says... "for when the baby's born." These clothes became my way to gauge the day as I woke up... if they were there, nothing new was happening ... if they were gone, the baby was coming. For the first few days, the clothes were there when I woke up. One day, though, they were gone. The baby was coming.

All day long, I wasn't sure how I felt about things. I wasn't a fan of change, and this baby being born today was going to do nothing but change our worlds.

I'm not sure when the shift happened from 'I'm not too sure about him' to 'Oh my goodness, he's adorable.' But rather quickly, I adjusted to this new little baby boy whom had been born to our family. I've been crazy about him ever since.

Once the little girl on the couch with wet chlorine hair who couldn't imagine what life would be like with a baby brother, I now find myself, sitting again here on the couch, trying to imagine what life would be like without this baby brother.

Austin will turn 16 tomorrow. And there is no doubt that those sixteen years have been some of the most joyous years of my life. Austin is funny - he never ceases to make me laugh. Austin is creative - from a little toddler dressed up pretending to be Captain Hook to the kid who is now writing amazing article for his school newspaper. Austin is sharp - the kid's smart. Austin is loving - he loves his sisters, his momma and daddy well. And no doubt he loves those around him. Austin is convicted - he thinks deeply, he is sincere in all he does. He studies hard and seeks what is right. I'm continually impressed with him. He is an example and inspiration to me.


Austin is sunshine.

Happy birthday, my sweet brother.
I love you more than I can say.

No comments: